Monday, February 4, 2013

Mali-Niger-Uranium: A Chinese Puzzle


Mali-Niger-Uranium: A Chinese puzzle
As French fighter-jets pound rebel targets in the northern reaches of Mali, a detachment of French special forces have been quietly dispatched to neighboring Niger.
Now, Niger is supposedly one of the ten poorest countries on the planet, with most people living on less than $1.00 per day. On the other hand, it also has huge deposits of uranium, and the largest uranium miner is Areva, a sprawling French energy conglomerate, in which the French government has a major interest. Areva’s Arlit mine is in a desolate northern region of Niger and the mission of the Special Forces is to protect it.
After all, France depends on nuclear reactors to provide 80% of the country’s electrical power.
Thus, deployment of the special forces is not at all surprising, particularly in light of the spectacular attack by jihadists on the huge Amenas plant in eastern Algeria. Indeed, a group linked to Al Qaeda kidnapped seven Areva employees in 2010, and still holds four of them hostage.  
Which raises the cynical question: to what degree was France’s dramatic intervention in Mali driven by France’s own economic interests?
Which also brings us to the Chinese, and the quandary they face.
As I’ve previously blogged, the Chinese have huge interests of their own in the region--including their $300 million SOMINA uranium mine at the desert outpost of Azalik in northern Niger.

Generally, wherever they are, the Chinese attempt to work with whatever government is in power. They don’t attempt to push any particular political line, or raise questions about potentially embarrassing issues like human rights.
But the Chinese might have as good a reason as the French to be nervous about their operations in Niger. In recent years, the Chinese operators of the SOMINA mine have been the target of protests from Tuareg tribesmen in the region, who were hired to work there. The Tuaregs claimed to have been exploited by their Chinese bosses, poorly paid, poorly housed, particularly when compared to Chinese workers there.  

Perhaps they’ve cleaned up their act, but one would think that, in light of current events, the Chinese would be taking precautions of their own in Niger.
But who are they going to get to protect them? Certainly not their own special forces.  One can just imagine the U.S. or French reaction. Do they train and arm their own Nigerien security guards?
What about the project currently in the works of several African countries contributing to a joint military force, perhaps under UN auspices, to take over from France in Mali?
You’d think the Chinese would be cheering the idea.
But, they don’t seem to be--at least not yet. When the African governments asked for close to a billion dollars to fund that joint African deployment, the major donor countries, including the U.S. and Japan, pledged less than half that amount. 
And China?  A grand total of $1 million!
You figure it out.
Ironically, the Nigerien government, which has been claiming that their country has not profited from its huge mineral wealth, has been pushing France to renegotiate its uranium deal with Niger.
Otherwise, their president, Mohamadou Issoufou, recently threatened, they might seek other partners to exploit that uranium.
Like China?, he was asked. “There is no reason to exclude other countries that wish to cooperate with us.” He replied.

2 comments:

  1. If you think spell casting is not a real thing, know whom to contact that will help you as they said. Have you met any testimony about Doctor Odunga? You have not seen Doctor Odunga's work and i will say that he is a real spell caster to bring back your ex within 24 hours at his email odungaspelltemple@gmail.com. I am Sarah Brandt from US A here in New Hampshire. I lost my boyfriend my boyfriend 4 years ago and dated some other men to forget about him. I have been in different relationships since I lost my true love counting to 3. As down as i was emotionally, i found testimonies about spell casters when i read about Doctor Odunga. Still i did contact his email at odungaspelltemple@gmail.com and within 24 hours my boyfriend called my phone and said some serious relationship stuff into my ears on the phone and wanted to meet. I met him the next day and he said he was sorry for leaving me that way he did and i knew the spell caster have done it. Please, you do not judge a book by its cover and i found the real spell caster to contact with belief and he helped me solve my problem. I will recommend Doctor Odunga Spell Temple to everyone who wants to meet a real spell caster for help at odungaspelltemple@gmail.com OR WhatsApp/Call him +2348167159012

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete